Sunday, February 1, 2009

Time for a Recipe...

So today I was cooking.

Yes that is right. I was cooking. I know I know....it's hard to believe. But every now and then I venture to the kitchen for more than a diet pepsi.

So today is my mom's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANA. And since we are homebound because of the car, I decided to make my homemade manicotti bake. It's not the average manicotti. But it is VERY popular here in our house.

So I thought well why not share. Maybe some of you will get as much enjoyment from it as my family does. It's actually pretty easy to make. So here is the recipe for Jenni's Famous Manicotti Bake.

Well maybe not famous...but I am all about embellishment.

Ingredients:
1 Box of Manicotti Noodles
1 Small can of spinach (you can use fresh but I am cheap)
2 8 oz bags of cheese- now you don't HAVE to use this much. But we LIKE ours extra cheesy. And I typically use the 6 cheese italian blend. It has parmesan in it and saves an added expense.
1 15 oz container of Ricotta cheese
1 Egg
Your Choice of Spaghetti Sauce

Now on to the instructions:

Put noodles into a pot of water to cook. *TIP* Use a little oil to prevent sticking *ADDITIONAL TIP* if you use oil do not spill the boiling water on your foot or it WILL cause 3rd degree burns

While noodles are boiling, mix 1 bag of cheese, ricotta cheese, egg and spinach in a bowl. mix well.

Open spaghetti sauce.

Once noodles are cooked, cool them. Now I am impatient. So I replace the hot water in the pot with ice cold water so I can move along.

Take each noodle and stuff it with cheese mixture. Now this can be difficult. And the noodles make break. Thats OKAY. You can just fill it and stick it back together. It doesn't matter because this isn't traditional manicotti.

Once noodles are stuffed place them in a baking pan. You want one with some depth because you will topping the noodles.

You will probably have some cheese mixture left over. Now you can trash it, save it or use it. I usually use it. I top the noodles first with the mixture that is left. Then I pour spaghetti sauce over the top LIGHTLY. You don't want it too saucy. After that top with remaining bag of cheese. Again you don't have to have that much cheese. This is FAR from a healthy recipe. But oh so good.

Once you have topped the noodles, stick in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or less depending on your oven. Be sure to watch it.

And another tip: Don't forget you are cooking and burn the top layer LOL

Let cool. Eat and enjoy!

0 comments: